Sunday, September 20, 2009

Disaster Stirkes the Nice Family

As the old saying goes: "Bad things happen in threes!"
1.
Andrew and I were taking a shower one morning, while I was getting out I heard a big thud and I just knew it was bad. As I picked him up I could see his skull and LOTS of blood. I do not do well in those kinds of situations. I grabbed a towel wrapped him up laid him on the floor took off my towel and put pressure on his head. I had him hold it there while I threw on some clothes and frantically looked for the phone. The first person I thought of was our neighbors the Allen's. I dialed their number several times to get... "this local call now requires ten digits" WHAT? It was about 3 days into the new change and it was not registering. So I called my friend Sarah. She happily answered the phone and rudely I interupted and said "Andrew fell in the shower and cut his head open." She immediately came over thinking I was exagerating. NOPE, it was worse than she thought, but luckily she didn't mention that. Shaking I drove us to the hospital while she took care of Andrew. So, here are a few lessons learned while we were at the hopital:
1. Head wounds bleed like crazy and then stop.
2. Little boys with their skull showing still have no fear and climb all over the chairs and jump off in the emergency waiting room.
3. The needle is the worst part until they strap your baby to a board and he is screaming for his Mommy.
4. A sucker and teddy bear doesn't make a child like those people who just tourtered him.
5. It isn't about how many stitches for some doctors, it is about the ruler. Aparently Andrew's wound was over an inch long, WOW.


2.
I was taking Marshall to baseball practice when I stopped for a little family crossing the entrance to the park. All of the sudden I heard this big BANG and then I realized it was us. Some one slammed into us. He was not paying attention - NO SKID MARKS. The speed limit on 1300 East is 35 MPH. I am assuming he was going at least 35. Marshall was a little shaken up, Calli and Andrew had no idea what was going on and I was way sore. One of the dads from Marshall's team was a life saver. He came and stayed with me and helped me with the kids until the police said I was OK to go. The next day I went to the Dr. and everything checked out great. I was still way sore so the Dr. ordered me some physical therapy. It was great, a few weeks of massages every other day. After a long process of getting the car fixed, it still isn't all the way fixed to my satisfaction. I have a really annoying creek in the drivers window or door. I need to get it back in but I can't be without my car. I am afraid it will never be the same.
3.
I really, really, really HATE willow trees! All of the neighbors surrounding our house seem to have them.

2 comments:

Michele said...

WOW! I am glad you were all safe in the car accident. And when Andrew is a little older, you can let him know that "chicks dig scars" or so I am told.

Connie said...

Your life has been anything but dull:)