Thursday, September 4, 2008

Together again someday

Life is such a precious thing and I feel like I take it for granted some times. My Grandpa Irby Arrington is in a rehabilitation facility. A couple of weeks ago he ended up at Alta View Hospital in the ICU with a lesion in his esophagus. He went into surgery, they fixed it but he aspirated in his lungs and got pneumonia. He has been trying to recover but he is 90 years old.

While he was in the ICU Jon, Jake and I were talking about some of the fun times that we had with Grandpa Irby. He seems more like a father to me than a Grandpa. He baptized me, gave me fathers blessings when I needed them and on two different occasions I lived at his house. I remember when he was Bishop in his ward I would get to sit next to him on the stand when I went to church with him. What a great example he has been in my life.

When my Grandpa Lynn passed away 8 years ago it was the first time that someone close to me died. Death was scary to me. I talked at his funeral and one scripture that I found to be very comforting was:

Doctrine and Covenants 42:46-47 “And it shall come to pass that those that die in me shall not taste death, for it shall be sweet unto them; And they that die not in me, wo unto them, for their death is bitter.”

Death is a part of the great plan that our Father in Heaven created. It is one of the most important and desirable events that can transpire in the eternal existence of the spirit. There is no fear of death in the hearts of the righteous. They seek to live as long as the Lord will permit them to do so. When the time of departure comes, they go in peace.

Tonight when I saw my Grandpa he looked peaceful. The most he has over the past few weeks. What a glorious thing that is going to happen to Grandpa Irby in the next little while, he is going to see his Savior, stand face to face with Him.

What a blessing the gospel is to me in my life. I know that we will all return to our Father in Heaven some day and be united with our loved ones, what comfort that brings to me at this time in my life.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jodi,
I am sorry to hear that your grandpa is ill, but you put it so well. And it is a great comfort to know he will be in peace when the time comes. Thank you for sharing this and the scripture.

LaDawn

Jen said...

What a beautiful tribute and your feelings. Sure love you!

Stoney and Jen said...

I love your post. I'm so sorry Irby isn't well, but truly great things await him I am sure. Hang in there, you have the right perspective already.

Mandi Arrington said...

You said it just right Jod

MissGlimpseBlogSpot said...

I can't imagine no gospel but death is still yucky- I hate goodbyes. You are great Jody, what a wonderful thing to journal about!